Our Farm is 15.3 acres near Bastrop TX, with goats, chickens, cats dogs and other assorted animals. We raise gourds, herbs,flowers and a kitchen garden. We will chronicle our adventures here warts and all. Mostly warts I think.

Saturday, March 14, 2009

I still have a lingering flu.  Just down to a raspy cough now and I don't have my usual energy. 10 days of this is too long.  Kristi is still enjoying her new car.  It's actually pleasant to get into unlike her old one.  We've been having problems with many goats getting into the front yard.  Can't really blame them, there is fresh green out there to eat.  The opposite of everywhere else around here.  At least we've had a couple of inches of precious rain this weekend. The electric fence is showing 4 bars.  That's about 4000 volts.  Enough for a painful jolt.  So why are the goats getting through it? I think it could be that they are getting through from the garden fence.  The garden fence between the garden and front yard isn't charged.  So I may have to connect it up tomorrow and get the goats trained to avoid the front yard.  Geese are laying eggs.  The peahen hasn't which is making me wonder if she's okay.  She would usually have laid about a dozen by now and then a dozen in a month or so.  She seems okay but...  I haven't seen any rats in the tack room for 3 days.  But they are still there.  I've seen a couple racing along the horizontal stringers in the barn.  I need to get rid of them before we buy our next pallet of feed.  They made a huge mess out of the last pallet and wasted a lot of grain.   Kristi found a dead snake in front of the greenhouse this afternoon.  Probably compliments of one of the cats.  Kristi tossed it to the chickens for protien.  Nothing gets wasted here.  I had to untangle 2 more goats from the hay feeder in the barn.  They push their heads all the way through and their horns get caught.  This is one of 4000 things on my ToDo list.  Replace the hay feeders.  I'm on it!  Cooked my corned beef today.  Came out perfect.  3 weeks in brine and spices in the fridge and now it's preserved and tasty.  All ready for St Patties day.  I wonder what corned goat would taste like.  Hmmmmm.

No comments: