Our Farm is 15.3 acres near Bastrop TX, with goats, chickens, cats dogs and other assorted animals. We raise gourds, herbs,flowers and a kitchen garden. We will chronicle our adventures here warts and all. Mostly warts I think.

Saturday, September 03, 2011

Time to break out the winter clothes

This week, the high is supposed to be below 100 degrees for more than one day in a row. It's time to break out the winter clothes. Yeah, this is still Texas. We lost 10 chickens this past week to the heat. That's a lot of chickens. But these are old chickens, stockpot chickens, if you will, and perhaps it's time to replace the flock. Out of 40+ birds, we're getting _two_ eggs a day. In 106 degree heat, even with a fan that I put into the coop, we're still losing them.

We put Recoil back in his buck pen. Since I just had a seizure (out of the blue, no way to tell what happened, really, just did) and had to be taken to the hospital, we both felt it was best to keep the man penned. He's a danger to us in the best of times during his rut, so it's just safer this way. During the truly hot heat of this brutal summer, he's not been so 'hot to trot', but since the temps have come back down (just barely) below 100, he is showing more interest in his girls. And they in him, luckily.

The turkeys are coming of age and escaping their pen as often as they can, now. I think they do it just because. You know, just because they can. They are quite cute, though. At least at this age. And we are planning on keeping a few for breeding for more chicks. At $11.50 each for hatchlings, I think it's best to try to raise our own. And perhaps sell the extras.

The pigs continue to be a pain, but Mike loves them, so I suspect we will be keeping them around for as long as possible.

Mike bought an IPAD two weeks ago, and I mentioned that I would love to have his when he's finished with it or upgrades. So, of course, he went and bought me one just.. you know, because he wanted to.

It's hot and I don't think we're going to have a fall garden. I can't imagine trying to keep up with that and everything else, as well.

I am making soap this weekend to fulfill orders from my soap site - http://www.kristisoap.com (if you go, don't pay full price... mention the blog and you'll get a discount. And the shipping is all screwy. I will charge exact shipping). Mike's not feeling well, so I'm guessing he's probably not going to go for a motorcycle ride -- something I think he desperately needs to relax a little after these past few weeks.

It's the weekend. In this case, a particularly long one because of labor day. And we're both exhausted from the past two weeks' events (the seizure and Mike driving me around because I've been ordered not to drive for 3 months). And the funky anti-seizure medicine that makes me feel drunk. Those effects are wearing off, but it's been a very hard couple of weeks for both of us trying to get used to everything.

So we continue to continue. The goats are happy because we are finally getting everything down - keeping them from getting sick and just generally taking care of them better because of what we've learned by doing... Someone at work keeps asking me if they should get a goat. And I always say 'no'. You need at least a farm and at least two... they are herd creatures and need their peeps around just like everyone else.

It's early. Need more coffee.






No comments: