Our Farm is 15.3 acres near Bastrop TX, with goats, chickens, cats dogs and other assorted animals. We raise gourds, herbs,flowers and a kitchen garden. We will chronicle our adventures here warts and all. Mostly warts I think.

Monday, June 16, 2008

Paneer Tikki

Latest news: The Paneer Tikki worked very well (needs salt) and I tried it with goat milk, thinking, what the heck... might as well try to make goat cheese. I've never been able to master the putting of the cheese in containers to let them sit forever, so this method works very, very well... and it's tasty! As soon as Geraldine is old enough to breed and then freshened, we're going to have a bunch of goat milk to make cheese with.. and now that I know I can get it through a simpler method, it will be easy!

The one thing that I didn't understand at first is that the curd, in goat cheese, is half the size of the smallest flea and I added a little too much lime juice (didn't have any lemons on hand) because I thought the curds should be bigger. But when I strained the milk through cheesecloth, all the individual curds and coagulated nicely. Oh, this is dangerously good...

----

I discovered a recipe for a simple cheese called, "Paneer Tikki" in Flatbreads and Flavors. This book has all sorts of great recipes collected by two people who traveled to different countries seeking flatbreads and local flavors. Excellent book.

Paneer Tikki is made with regular, store-bought, two-percent milk and lemon juice. That's IT.. there's nothing more to it.

Then the pulled pork from yesterday's adventures (Mike starting the Boston butt and me finishing it.. seems to work well.. low temps (between 200 and 300) with hickory)..

Meat, cheese... hmmm..

Enough for today.

No comments: