Our Farm is 15.3 acres near Bastrop TX, with goats, chickens, cats dogs and other assorted animals. We raise gourds, herbs,flowers and a kitchen garden. We will chronicle our adventures here warts and all. Mostly warts I think.

Monday, May 02, 2005

Ouch... ouch ouch

Weekends are tough, but Monday mornings, when I have to get up early and then go to work are the worst. Groan, creeeeaaaak, groan. Ouch.

This weekend, Mike cleaned out the tack room which needed it, fer sure. He also tilled another patch of land for my gourds (about the same size as the corn) and I planted them on Sunday, as well as two rows of potatoes. It was a gorgeous day and I have the sunburn to prove it.

The purple martins, fascinatingly fascinated with US, seem fairly ensconced in their way of life in their special purple martin condominiums. We have several hummingbirds, now, and we feel that the hawks that have been flying over are nesting on the creek side of the property.

The guineas are fine, totally afraid of us in the brooder box inside the chicken coop. The chickens don't know where to lay their eggs and found a new spot behind the door in the second stall. We have to go on hunts to find them, especially if their privacy has been 'invaded' and they have to find a new place. Of course, this assumes they can remember where they last laid. They are chickens, after all.

We are weaning Spot, the kid, and are down to feeding it 2 cups of special brew per day, now. It is already eating goat chow and after this batch of milk (2 gallons), we're done with all that nonsense! He will be the first to be sold. Sell your kids.. doesn't that sound like a dream?

I bought more seeds (fennel to keep the bugs off the gourds, and a few other things) and will be having 9 cabernet vines mailed to me soon. That will bring our grape crop up to 16, but the other vines are not wine grapes. One is a concord grape plant that seems to be doing great and the others are Thompson seedless. I mulched a lot of things this weekend, raking leaves from the backyard and using some of that for mulch of the fruit trees and the rest of the leaves I mixed into the compost.

I also cleaned out the non-producing pots in the greenhouse, moved some stuff around and made way for the new batch of stuff I just planted -- beans, cilantro. I still have a bunch of peppers that need to go in the ground.

The watermelon vines have taken off and are doing quite well now that I've gotten rid of the fire ants on the mound.

I asked Mike to check the chipper shredder and I'm glad he did. He found that the plastic gas holder on the outside of the machine was leaking at the midway seal. It will have to be replaced, but in the meantime, we can just fill it up half way so that it doesn't leak over the side.

The corn seems to be doing well and I have to keep fertilizing it (organic fertilizer) so that it stays green and healthy. The tomato plants are doing well, although they're experiencing leaf curl. I may have to fertilize them, as well.

No comments: