Our Farm is 15.3 acres near Bastrop TX, with goats, chickens, cats dogs and other assorted animals. We raise gourds, herbs,flowers and a kitchen garden. We will chronicle our adventures here warts and all. Mostly warts I think.

Monday, April 04, 2005

From the other one...

I don't often get a chance to write or to voice my side of what we're doing out here on our Texas Farm, so it's time.

It's been a long weekend and I'm feeling it -- sunburned, sore muscled and tired beyond reason. But it's been a good weekend. I tilled the corn patch so that I would know how much room we'd have for other things... Mike thinks it's too big and I think it's too small. We are planning on using the corn to feed us as well as the all the livestock.

I also planted the asparagus, although it may be too late -- not seasonally too late, but the asparagus seems to be dead.. maybe it's dormant, but we bought it from Home Despot and believe me, they don't have the finest quality items. However, the guy from Bonnie Farms showed up at our little Bastrop Home Despot this past weekend and I found out that they have 17 greenhouses in Beeville and the rest of them are mostly in Alabama. The accent the guy was carrying kind of gave away the fact that he was from AL, too. At least the plants in our little Home Despot were grown in Texas. This makes me feel a little better.

Our compost isn't big enough for all the things we want to do with it and it's just now heating up properly. Massive amounts of coffee grounds as well as some organic fertilizer will hopefully restart the decomposition process.

The worms, formerly in our guest bathroom, are now in the compost area, but still in the plastic box I used to grow them. They're red worms. Good for loosening the dirt around plants and making wonderful, wonderful vermicultured compost. Black dirt.. texas tea... oh, don't get me started.

Today I will probably finish tilling in the composted leaves from our acreage that's forested. The tilling will be done in the corn area and maybe I can plant, now.

I still have a greenhouse full of plants but have not had time to put them into the soil. The soil temperature is about right at the moment and there won't really be any better time to do this.

I planted a bunch of dill in an area between the back yard and the shed -- as well as some catnip for which, I think, my cats will be truly grateful. I snipped some off and watched them all roll around happily drunk in the dirt. Silly cats.

The dog.. oh, the dog. Grrrr... If only she could not be so... dogged! She's really sweet, though.

And now the chickens are too big, so we might be doing some chicken killin' this evening. It depends on how each of our days have been and whether we're up to the chore tonight. Otherwise, the corn's goin' in. That's all there is to it.

Mike is NOT my slave... he does what he wants to do and that's all there is to THAT!
Now... where's my whip?

Signed --

The OTHER farmer at this location.

No comments: