Our Farm is 15.3 acres near Bastrop TX, with goats, chickens, cats dogs and other assorted animals. We raise gourds, herbs,flowers and a kitchen garden. We will chronicle our adventures here warts and all. Mostly warts I think.

Friday, February 18, 2005

The billy-goat was feeling amorous this morning. He was making a nuisance of himself with the younger female. They were crashing around the barn when I went to feed them. He was making his guttural sounds. Very human sounding from a distance. She was trying to escape by running in and out of stalls in the barn. I was concerned about being run down. Those horns are pointy and hard. I fed the orphan just enough to keep it happy for a couple of minutes and grabbed the goats food. Now they all follow me. The 2 females, the male and all the little ones. When I get to the goat shed it gets cramped. I go to the farthest bowl and fill it. Step around several goats and fill the next bowl. Push a couple of babies out of the last bowl and fill it. By this time the orphan has figured out where I am and it's wondering why my nipple is missing. I have to go back to the barn to retrieve it. Then I can finish pumping a quart of milk into the baby goat. It takes a lot to fill four stomachs.
Once baby goat was satisfied I could check the new chicks. It would be good to know if they survived the night. I had 3 heat lamps set up in the new brooder but you always wonder if it will be warm enough. The back door of the barn (I built a proper back door when we moved in. Before that there was just a cattle gate) was shut to keep things less drafty. The chicks are being kept in a horse stall with plywood sides which helps to cut drafts too. They were happy. All squished up next to each other with many at the feeders and some getting water too. I refilled their food containers. I had borrowed the feeders from the Barred Rock hens in the coop next door. I gave them the feeder that I fixed after the billy goat bent it all up when he stuck his head into it last week. There's a previous post about THAT little episode. That feeder holds about a weeks worth of food so I don't have to bother with it as often. I suspect the other chickens are eating out of it when I'm not looking however.

No comments: